About Us

Welcome to St. Mary Catholic Church

St. Mary Catholic Church in Glasgow, Missouri is currently part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City.

Our Parish office is located in the historic house on our campus in between the Church and the School.

Our pastor is Reverend Joshua J. Duncan, who was ordained in 2016 and also serves as Parochial Administrator of St. Joseph, Fayette.



From an article written about St. Mary's dedication in 1913:

“Four years prior, Archbishop Glennon predicted the early building of the new St. Mary Church; last Sunday he returned to dedicate the magnificent structure. On July 4, 1909, he stood on the hill where now rises the altar and looked down on the grand panorama below. Pointing his finger toward the distant bluffs to the south, he said, ‘The day is not too far distant when a modern passenger steamer will round yonder bend, and an enthusiastic passenger will point out to his expectant fellow travelers a speck in the sky, with the words, “There’s Glasgow; I see the cross on St. Mary Church.”’

“What at the time seemed a beautiful vision, has now become a splendid reality. Through the untiring efforts of pastor and people one of the finest churches in this part of the State now crowns the hill and the gilded cross on the lofty spire is seen for miles as a bright spot in the sky.

“Last Saturday afternoon His Grace, Archbishop Glennon, accompanied by a number of clergymen from St. Louis, came to Glasgow to bless the edifice. They were met at the train by the pastor and many parishioners. A horseback parade had been planned, but this was abandoned on account of the weather. As soon as the train arrived, the church bells began to ring and the men marched in procession up Third Street, while the visitors were taken in surreys to the parochial residence.

“Sunday morning the church and surroundings presented a festive appearance. Busy hands had been at work decorating the altars, beautifying the church and hanging flags and decorations. At the old church building the ladies of the parish were making preparations to feed the multitude.

“At half-past seven those to be confirmed attended the bishop’s Mass in the sodality chapel of the new church and received Holy Communion at his hands. At ten o’clock the joyous peals of the bells announced that the hour had arrived for the dedication of the new church. The men and boys, wearing the souvenir badges of the day, formed a lane from the parochial residence to the church portals.  . . . Although the church was built for large numbers, it was inadequate to seat the immense throng of people who came from far and near to witness the solemn ceremony. Nearly the entire congregations of West Glasgow and Aholt had come over, while Salisbury sent a delegation of over one hundred . . . "

It is not known just how many people attended the dedication of the new church on Pentecost Sunday, but the ladies of the parish, who offered meals for fifty cents per person that day, served over 700 people in the dining room of the old church. This banquet  was described as “a great success, financially and otherwise.”

Neither Father Waeltermann nor the people were ready to rest on their laurels after the new church was completed. The basement of the building had cost over $4,000, the superstructure about $23,000, and after the furnishings had been bought and the decorations completed, the total bill had come to almost $40,000, which was at that time a sizeable sum, equal in fact, to one-third of the total capital of the Glasgow Savings Bank. There was, therefore, the debt to be paid; and more important, there was the Catholic Faith to be constantly nurtured and allowed to grow in the parish.

Father John Waeltermann had written in the early 1900s: “And when the large sonorous bells, one of which has been donated by the business and professional men of Glasgow, shall swing above the church and send out their harmonious tones over the surrounding country, their great metallic tongues will announce to all the glad tidings, ‘Glory to God, good will to men.’”

With the completion of the new church, Father Waeltermann’s dream was made a reality. This was his great accomplishment in Glasgow, and in 1915 he was transferred to St. Louis, where he founded St. George Parish on Gravois Road. He later served at St. Augustine and St. Francis de Sales parishes in St. Louis, before his death April 19, 1929.

Learn More about the St. Mary Church